Monday, October 29, 2012

NBA: The Summer of Wow and the Season of Eh

To read more thoughts from Jason on the Knicks, continue to check here or on his site, http://www.malajas.com/knicks.   

Every off-season brings its fair share of 'Wow' moments. Trades and signings that may not have been expected. These days, there are so many ways to get your information, one often is under the illusion that there will be no surprises. That every situation has been considered and we hear about every disgruntled player's daily thoughts (see: Howard, Dwight). However, this summer yielded many 'Wow' moments. The Jeremy Lin signing was unbelievable when it happened because I am a Knicks fan and thought at the time that they weakened the team, but who would have thought that players would have signed with supposed hated teams like Steve Nash with the Lakers and Ray Allen with Miami? As Simmons on Grantland many times, these rivalries really only matter to fans and the media. But even still, the Lakers rebuilding and creating a team that consists of Kobe, Pau, Nash, AND Dwight Howard? That is a Wow moment. Ray Allen leaving the Celtics was a semi-Wow moment, even if the Celtics are probably better off now. But just when you thought it was all over, the Thunder announce the trade of James Harden to the Houston Rockets. Quite simply:

Was the Thunder move really unexpected? I talked about how the losing teams in the NBA Finals often retool and "break up the band" here. Additionally, analysts have repeatedly talked about how the Thunder are a small market team and the commitments to Durant, Ibaka and Westbrook have put the Thunder in a tough spot with the salary cap. Harden was also the sixth man because his style overlapped with Durant's and Westbrook's. In the end, this move may have been the best for both Harden and the Thunder. Does any of this matter though?

Even if I hope the Knicks will play better, and there are now many teams that I am really interested in, will anyone be able to unseat the Miami Heat? This is the year LeBron has transcended, right? He is going to prove to us that he is the best player ever by being even better than he was last year. The Heat are going to be unstoppable supposedly, so there really is no point to watch. Nothing is ever certain, and that is why we watch. If one of the teams I watch and like actually supplant the Heat this year, then we are better off. If LeBron gets better, then we are even better off. It has been 20 years since we saw greatness, and we may be on the threshold to see it again. So win-win. Now is a great time to be an NBA fan. It has to be. I recently dropped Major League BaseBall and am about to drop the National Football League, so the NBA is what I am doubling down on. I even bought the NBA League Pass last year during the Linsanity tour, and am considering buying it again even if it is a little expensive.

Of course, the Knicks will be on the list, especially since me and 7 of my friends will be participating in the contest. The other 4 teams I am tentatively choosing are:

Los Angeles Lakers - Steve Nash is one of my favorite players and what he did last year was nothing short of amazing. The load could be lightened with this Lakers team, even if the pressure is now heightened. But this is a team that I have to keep an eye on. Despite what I think of Dwight, he gives Nash the best chance for getting his first NBA title, and Kobe his 6th.

Miami Heat - Whether or not LeBron makes his transcendence, it is a must watch season. They played so well last season and gave us so many highlights, there is no way I can leave them off the list.

Houston Rockets - Jeremy Lin kicked off my interest in the Knicks again. I thought it was going to be another blah season for the Knicks, but he made me interested again. Now he is on a young Rockets team and paired with James Harden, another of my favorite players. It will be interesting to see how they do.

Denver Nuggets - This team will be amazing to watch this year. George Karl's style of coaching and the pieces they have in place: Gallinari, McGee, Faried, Andre Miller and now Iguodala. It will be most fun.

Although this list may change, the Miami Heat and of course the Knicks are the only teams that stayed on my League Pass list (I am only signing up for League Pass Choice, which allows you to follow 5 teams throughout the year). The Chicago Bulls, LA Clippers and OKC have dropped off the list. Celtics are not on the list because they are local and other teams I have considered are Brooklyn Nets and the Minnesota Timberwolves. No matter what teams I choose for League Pass or what happens, it looks like I will be keeping a close on eye on this season. I am expecting to see some greatness and I suspect I will see it. I cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment